The Food Files
Margo is what one would call "a good eater." She comes by it honestly, as most of our family members would attest. Michel and I both like to gnosh, and it is a great family past time. On top of just liking to eat, I love to cook, and I would say that "food" is a major hobby of mine. Menu planning, dreaming about food, cooking, baking, and last (but not least - at least not always) considering the nutritional value of what I put in my mouth (and what goes in the mouths of my family).
Part of the preparation we had to do for Margo's entry into daycare was compiling a list of everything that Margo has tried in the wonderful world of food. We all know the value of a varied diet, so I was pleased to notice that it's a pretty lengthy list, and she's definitely tried things I hadn't tried until adulthood. I present to you, Margo's food file:
Fruits: Apricots, Apples, Avocado, Bananas, Blackberries, Blueberries, Cherries, Cranberries, Dates, Grapes, Kiwi, Lemon, Nectarines, Papaya, Pears, Peaches, Plums, Raisins, Raspberries
Strawberries, Watermelon
Dairy: Milk (Homo), Cheese (Cheddar, Parmesan, Marble), Cottage Cheese, Cream Cheese, Ice Cream, Yogurt
Strawberries, Watermelon
Dairy: Milk (Homo), Cheese (Cheddar, Parmesan, Marble), Cottage Cheese, Cream Cheese, Ice Cream, Yogurt
Meat: Bacon, Beef, Chicken, Ham
Vegetables/Legumes: Asparagus, Beans (Black, Cannelini, Kidney), Beets, Broccoli, Butternut Squash, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Celery Root, Chickpeas, Corn, Green/Yellow Beans, Leek, Lentils (red and green), Onions, Peas, Parsnips, Potatoes, Pumpkin, Red Pepper, Spinach, Sweet Potato, Tomato, Zucchini
Grain and Other: Barley, Cheerios, Couscous, Oats, Quinoa, Rice (brown, basmati and long grain), Wheat (Whole wheat bread, whole wheat pita, whole wheat pasta, whole grain crackers),
Rice Crackers.
Rice Crackers.
Crepes, Pancakes, Muffin (with flax)
Not bad for a one year old.
Since I love to cook, I've been making Margo's food since the introduction of solids. Armed with a great book (Blender Baby Food by
Nicole Young), a blender and a pampered chef cookie scoop, I've been cooking and mashing and freezing all sorts of yummy things. In addition, I've read several books on how to get fussy children to eat (in anticipation of Margo taking a turn towards the fussy) but I haven't really had to put any of the things I learned to use. For the most part (with a few exceptions) Margo has liked everything I've made.
Since I love to cook, I've been making Margo's food since the introduction of solids. Armed with a great book (Blender Baby Food by
At daycare, Margo is fed wholesome, homemade foods. She reportedly eats well, and in addition to her breakfast that she eats at home, she is fed two snacks (usually fruit, bread, yogurt or cheese or some combination) and a healthy lunch (things like homemade pasta sauce, veggies, meatballs, rice, fruit). She drinks homogenized milk at every meal (often an entire cup) and is still nursing twice a day.
Supper has become an interesting time. She no longer wants to eat baby food, which is fine. (one less chore!) But she's not that interested in eating much else either. It's a big change from pre-daycare when she would eat a cup or more of food at dinner. (Of course, she wasn't eating snacks then). I know that it's likely not a big deal, but it's odd to see her not be interested in eating. I am really working on having us eat at the table togther, and Margo will nibble a piece of cheese, a few bites of her main course, and she will eat fruit (last night a whole banana) while we dig in to our dinners. I'm sure that this is all normal and nothing to worry about but I can't help wondering about her nutritional intake. Time to break out the Sneaky Chef book I got and start hiding white bean puree in the pasta sauce.
Supper has become an interesting time. She no longer wants to eat baby food, which is fine. (one less chore!) But she's not that interested in eating much else either. It's a big change from pre-daycare when she would eat a cup or more of food at dinner. (Of course, she wasn't eating snacks then). I know that it's likely not a big deal, but it's odd to see her not be interested in eating. I am really working on having us eat at the table togther, and Margo will nibble a piece of cheese, a few bites of her main course, and she will eat fruit (last night a whole banana) while we dig in to our dinners. I'm sure that this is all normal and nothing to worry about but I can't help wondering about her nutritional intake. Time to break out the Sneaky Chef book I got and start hiding white bean puree in the pasta sauce.
All this talk of food has made me hungry.
- Donna
8:16 p.m.She's lucky to have such a devoted mama-chef.
Looking forward to cake tomorrow!
4:34 p.m.
Shoot! Send the left-overs here.
Seriously, you would do right not to worry so much about it. Just put an image in your head about how small her little stomach is. Chances are, like you say, she is getting all of the nutrition she needs through-out the day.
So, next meal you sit down together, let her nosh and ya'll can pitch fork it in as we all do so well.
p.s - I'm like you. My week-end is filled with menu planning, pouring through recipes and cooking, prepping and preparing. It's what makes me happy.
Tati J
9:16 p.m.
I was just reading that babies grow at such a huge speed in the first year (an average of 15 pounds of weight added), but only put on an average of 5 pounds in their second year. That means that their interest in food goes down dramatically, and also explains the "picky eater" part of being a toddler. So don't worry - sounds like Margo is normal!
» Post a Comment