<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/33102987?origin\x3dhttps://lesanndeville.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

The Unspoken Word

No words from The Margo yet, but she's communicating like nobody's business.

For example, she loves pointing out graphical elements on t-shirts, and makes a variety of noises when pointing, the most common being "Da!" and "dzeuw?"

I have a t-shirt that says "I eat Canadian Beef" (inside joke... long story) with a silhouette of a cow on it. She points it out with an excited "Da!," as if she's just found Waldo. I point at my chest and explain that the image is "la vache." She laughs, and points at it again.

She also likes pointing at a t-shirt that we picked up in Margo, Saskatchewan (oh, won't she be proud of her nerdy parents when she's a teenager!) It has pretty much every symbol that you could think of when thinking of SK in 5 square inches: wheat, flat earth, a grain elevator, a pasqueflower and no lakes. I guess they didn't have space for Diefenbaker, Tommy Douglas, and a member of a First Nations community.

Margo likes pointing at the only bit of colour on this crisp white t-shirt, the pasqueflower. Note that the fact that it's white at all is amazing, given the café where it was bought. Easterners should be warned that the notion of Eastern and Saskatchewan cafés are as far apart as... as... as when someone tells you that the Sun only has enough hydrogen left to keep burning for another 50 billion years, and you get all nervous and anxious, and they say "hey, it's cool, man, 50 billion years is a long time from now," and you say "Fifty!? Oh, I thought you said fifteen billion!" They sound similar if you weren't listening carefully, but they're really quite different.

When she points at the pasqueflower, I used to think that she was pointing at the rectangle/trapezoid that is the map of SK, so I would say "c'est la Saskatchewan."

So, when Margo starts speaking, this is what she will think: papa's name is "La Vache," but only when he wears that t-shirt, and the word for flower is "La Saskatchewan."

Sorry for screwing you up so early, Margo. It wasn't intentional.

- Michel
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment