A bittersweet Mother's Day
Ok, Ok, it's been awhile.
We've been busy.
Honestly, taking pictures of Margo lately is almost impossible. And what's a blog entry without a photo or two? (I know that's why many of you stop by!)
But fear not. We're back. At least for today.
Mother's Day this year was a little different than past years. It's strange not having a Mom to phone and wish well. Being a still relatively new mama, it's hard to get used to the fact that it's now MY DAY.
And it was a good day, even though I missed
my mom with
every fibre of my being. After sleeping in until 8:15 am (both on Saturday and on Sunday!) Margo came into bed with us as she does every morning, for some snuggles and books.
Breakfast was whole grain pancakes and fresh fruit, maple syrup, and whipped cream. Margo experienced the very significant childhood experience of licking the beaters for the first time, and caught on quickly, dunking the cleaned beater back into the bowl as soon as she was done. She's no one's fool.
We hit our local farmer's market after breakfast and Margo had fun wandering around like the free range toddler she is (holding hands is not her favourite thing these days), admiring dogs and touching flowers.
The afternoon found us at the park with friends for a picnic which turned into eating dinner on our living room floor, picnic style, due to high winds.
A lovely day, and I'm very in love with this little family.
Monday brought in the mail a few cards from thoughtful friends who were thinking about how I might be feeling on Mother's Day (thanks Holly S. and Emily S.). As Emily put it, we are members of the worst club in the world (she too lost her mother recently) but I have to say, having Margo around and feeling the promise of the new girl kicking inside me proves to be a salve for all kinds of emotional wounds. I'm healing.
I hope all you Mama's out there had a most wonderful day, too!
- Donna
We've been busy.
Honestly, taking pictures of Margo lately is almost impossible. And what's a blog entry without a photo or two? (I know that's why many of you stop by!)
But fear not. We're back. At least for today.
Mother's Day this year was a little different than past years. It's strange not having a Mom to phone and wish well. Being a still relatively new mama, it's hard to get used to the fact that it's now MY DAY.
And it was a good day, even though I missed
my mom with
every fibre of my being. After sleeping in until 8:15 am (both on Saturday and on Sunday!) Margo came into bed with us as she does every morning, for some snuggles and books.Breakfast was whole grain pancakes and fresh fruit, maple syrup, and whipped cream. Margo experienced the very significant childhood experience of licking the beaters for the first time, and caught on quickly, dunking the cleaned beater back into the bowl as soon as she was done. She's no one's fool.
We hit our local farmer's market after breakfast and Margo had fun wandering around like the free range toddler she is (holding hands is not her favourite thing these days), admiring dogs and touching flowers.
The afternoon found us at the park with friends for a picnic which turned into eating dinner on our living room floor, picnic style, due to high winds.
A lovely day, and I'm very in love with this little family.
Monday brought in the mail a few cards from thoughtful friends who were thinking about how I might be feeling on Mother's Day (thanks Holly S. and Emily S.). As Emily put it, we are members of the worst club in the world (she too lost her mother recently) but I have to say, having Margo around and feeling the promise of the new girl kicking inside me proves to be a salve for all kinds of emotional wounds. I'm healing.
I hope all you Mama's out there had a most wonderful day, too!
- Donna

11:57 p.m.Donna - Of course - I'm so sorry. There are those of us who get so caught up in our mundane little worlds that we forget how holidays and special days might effect someone who has lost a loved one. Thumbs up to those thoughtful enough to acknowledge that.
In time, the pain will dissipate little by little but that doesn't mean you'll ever forget your Mom. On the contrary. I hope you enjoyed your day as a "Mom" yourself to honor her and to keep up the tradition. You're a wonderful, wonderful Mother and I'm am certain that she saw that very much in you. In fact, I'm sure she was somewhat in awe.
Be happy sweet Mama.
2:09 p.m.
Lo and behold, I check everyday and many times a day and I found this beautiful,sweet write up.
Donna, you do it so well.
Yes, of course, you would miss your mom on those special days, after all she was also your best friend.
I will say like my sister said when I was missing my mentor,"talk to him."
I know that you must talk to her.
Margo, you and your sister will know your grandma just from what your mummy will say about her,and I am sure that it will always be good.
Happy belated Mother's Day.
I equally had a wonderful day.
Grandmaman
12:38 p.m.
You have a beautiful little girl. Happy Mother's Day. I love reading your blog. It keeps me informed of all you girls from YK.
» Post a Comment