Ode to my Midwife
It had to happen. We had our six-week discharge appointment with the midwife who attended Maude's birth on Thursday, which marked the end of the consumer/midwife relationship. In a way, I'm sad to bookend the relationship, and although a third child isn't a definite at this point, I hope that Suzanne is availlable to have me as a client when the time comes.
Besides an exam of Maude (up to 9 lbs 14.5 oz, and an increase of 8 cms since birth!) we were handed the records from the birth, which highlight the major stats of my labour. Although I don't agree with the time noted regarding when labour initiated (something about only counting active labour results in what seems to me an unfair portrayal of the length of the process!), the rest of the timing was a bit of a surprise. For instance, I have been telling people that I pushed for 2 hours, when actually, 3 and a quarter hours were required to get the Maude to join us. That was HARD work!
It was lovely to see Maude and Suzanne together. I can't help but think that her face is the first that Maude saw, even before my own. Just thinking about that powerful connection makes me cry a little bit. (for this, and many other reasons, I could never be a midwife. How can one catch a baby when your eyes are clouded with tears?) We made sure to snap a photo.
I'm pround to be able to say that a midwife ushered my babies into this world quietly and made me feel powerful. Given my last labour, the fact that I felt so amazing after the birth is surprising, as for much of it things felt more than a little out of control. That Suzanne could foster such a positive and calm environment is a testament to her personality and skill. All this, on just a few hours of sleep. Many of you reading this have had midwives attend your births, and for those of you who haven't, please do!! Their care is professional, warm, nurturing, and above all, empowering. I just may have to do this all again so I can renew my relationship with my midwife!
- Donna
Besides an exam of Maude (up to 9 lbs 14.5 oz, and an increase of 8 cms since birth!) we were handed the records from the birth, which highlight the major stats of my labour. Although I don't agree with the time noted regarding when labour initiated (something about only counting active labour results in what seems to me an unfair portrayal of the length of the process!), the rest of the timing was a bit of a surprise. For instance, I have been telling people that I pushed for 2 hours, when actually, 3 and a quarter hours were required to get the Maude to join us. That was HARD work!
I'm pround to be able to say that a midwife ushered my babies into this world quietly and made me feel powerful. Given my last labour, the fact that I felt so amazing after the birth is surprising, as for much of it things felt more than a little out of control. That Suzanne could foster such a positive and calm environment is a testament to her personality and skill. All this, on just a few hours of sleep. Many of you reading this have had midwives attend your births, and for those of you who haven't, please do!! Their care is professional, warm, nurturing, and above all, empowering. I just may have to do this all again so I can renew my relationship with my midwife!
- Donna

7:40 p.m.sniffles...
Nadia
9:01 p.m.
I'm glad she was there for you. Maude is as beautiful as Margo, in an equally different way. We are so blessed. Love the suit. - Tati Julie
» Post a Comment